Convenience Read more [...]
Wishaw Old Parish Church, “the Toon Knock Kirk”, was founded in 1837 as the Wishawtown Chapel. Our present building has been in use as our place of worship since 1840. Unlike other Scottish churches which have a long and complex history, ours is fairly simple.As the Industrial Revolution took shape, the towns’ of Lanarkshire expanded due to the vast production of iron and steel in the county. As a result the village of Cambusnethan expanded to become what we know today as the town of Wishaw. As local people moved further away from Cambusnethan the need for a new place of worship became essential – as they made it clear that the long walk from Wishaw up the Kirk Brae to Cam’nethan for Sunday worship was not acceptable. And so the Wishaw Chapel of Ease was established.In September 1855 we became a parish church in our own right and in 1929, at the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland, we became the Old Parish Church.