Wishaw Town Centre
Wishaw is a town in North Lanarkshire, 15 miles south-east of Glasgow. It has an estimated population of 30,290 (2016).
Although the Burgh of Wishaw was officially formed in 1855, there are records and vestiges of a settlement in the area in the 12th century, where a kirk dedicated to St Michael was built. The foundations of the modern settlement date back to 1794, with a congregation of a few hundred people established a village first named Cambusnethan and later Wishawtown.
Over most of the 19th and 20th centuries, the history of the town is linked to the coal mining, manufacturing and steel industries, as many other localities in this area. Distilleries, and engineering and iron industries are also responsible for the rapid expansion of Wishaw over this period.
It was around 1848-1849 when one famous visitor came to Wishaw. The Polish musician Frédéric Chopin is reported to have stopped in the town during his visit to Britain to stay at Wishaw House, home of Lady Belhaven.
The name and lordship of Belhaven have always been connected to the modern history of Wishaw. Evidence of this is the Belhaven park, one of the main attractions just five minutes’ walk from Main St in the town centre. This park is a war memorial gifted by the 10th Lord Belhaven and Stenton to the people of Wishaw, as a tribute to his only son killed in action in the World War.
Main St is the spine of the town centre, which expands to nearby streets such as the beginning of Stewarton St, Kirk Rd, Caledonian Rd, Hill St and Kenilworth Ave among others. This area comprises a mix of small independent businesses and national stores, coffee shops, restaurants, pubs, a sports centre, a health centre and a library.
Wishaw has also a good leisure offer; in addition to Belhaven Park, the Clyde Valley Walkway can be easily accessed from the town. Sports lovers can also benefit from the existence of the Wishaw Golf Club and the Bowling Club, as well as the brand new Wishawhill Wood Pumptrack for BMX and skating fans.